Support the

CME Church

through our Amazon Partnership

Vocations in Pastoral Care

Areas of Service
Training Recommended or Required
Pastoral Care
Pastor, Church Staff,
Social Services
Clinical Pastoral Education
(minimum of one unit)
Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
Professional Chaplaincy
Hospital, hospice, military, or other institutional chaplaincy
Clinical Pastoral Education
(1-4 units required for employment,
4 units required for Board certification)
ACPE for training
Association of Professional Chaplains (APC), or College of Pastoral Supervision and Psychotherapy (CPSP) or National Assn of Catholic Chaplains, National Association of Jewish Chaplains for certification
Pastoral Educator (CPE Supervisor)
Supervisor of CPE programs in a variety of settings
CPE (Level I, Level  2 and Supervisory)
Successful completion of certification process
Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
(ACPE) or
Pastoral Counselor
Counselor on church staff, counseling center or agency
CPE (at least 1 unit) PLUS
Pastoral counseling training program
ACPE for introductory unit
American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC)
for pastoral counseling training or
Marriage and Family Therapist or
Licensed Professional Counselor
Varies from state to state,
Can often be done in conjunction with pastoral counseling training
AAPC, AAMFT or state credentialing agency